White Plains, NY
Daniel Alter represents clients in complex commercial and regulatory litigation, including trials and appeals, and defends parties in government enforcement matters and investigations by a broad array of federal and state agencies. His practice encompasses business disputes of all kinds, including breach of contract, employment litigation, fraud, unfair business practices, shareholder disputes, and real estate disputes. He also represents potential relators or whistleblowers in False Claim Act and qui tam actions.
Danny regularly represents individuals and companies appearing before the New York Attorney General’s Office, other state attorneys general across the country, the New York Department of Financial Services, and other federal and state regulators in the financial services industry in licensing and compliance matters. He also is one of the early architects and practitioners of crypto currency regulation and litigation.
Danny has a storied background, having served in pivotal leadership positions in government service. He served as the first General Counsel for the New York State Department of Financial Services and Senior Advisor & Special Counsel to the New York State Attorney General.
Danny began his career as an Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) for the Southern District of New York, where he held the supervisory positions of Acting Chief and Deputy Chief in the Civil Division. During his nearly nine years as an AUSA, Danny litigated numerous cases and appeals involving administrative law, antiterrorism matters, civil rights enforcement, constitutional claims, copyright law, among others. He also served as a supervisory liaison with numerous federal agencies and coordinated all antiterrorism-related civil litigation associated with the 9-11 terrorist attacks conducted in the Southern District of New York.
Prior to joining Yankwitt LLP, Danny was a partner in a leading New York City law firm representing the financial services industry on regulatory and litigation matters. Earlier, he was general counsel to a New York State chartered trust company and also served as National Civil Rights Director for the Anti-Defamation League.
After graduating from Yale Law School, he clerked for two appellate judges for the Second Circuit – the Honorable John M. Walker Jr. and the Honorable Guido Calabresi. Danny also served as an adjunct professor and senior fellow at New York University School of Law.
- Yale Law School, J.D., and Coker Fellow
- Columbia University, B.A., summa cum laude, and Phi Beta Kappa
- General Counsel, New York State Department of Financial Service
- Senior Advisor & Special Counsel to the New York State Attorney General
- Assistant United States Attorney, Southern District of New York, Acting Chief/Deputy Chief, Civil Division
- Clerkship, Judge Guido Calabresi, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Clerkship, John M. Walker, Jr, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- New York
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Director's Award, United States Department of Justice, 1998, 2000, 2002
- The Henry L. Stimson Medal, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 2001
- Chairman's Auction Program Award, Federal Communications Commission, 2000
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- CENTRI Tech Foundation, Board
- New York Legal Assistance Group, Board Member & Treasurer
- New York City Bar Association