KATHY S. MARKS
Kathy Marks is an experienced trial lawyer whose practice focuses on complex civil litigation and government investigations.
Kathy’s practice includes representing corporations and individuals across various industries in commercial litigation, employment disputes, fraud matters and premises liability defense. Kathy is a true litigator, having tried many cases to verdict over her 33-year career. Kathy also has extensive appellate experience, having filed more than 100 appellate briefs and argued numerous cases in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. She is also an experienced mediator and mediation practitioner, having served as a volunteer mediator for the Southern District of New York. At Yankwitt LLP, Kathy applies that extensive experience to advise and counsel her clients on optimizing litigation and other dispute resolution outcomes.
Kathy also represents individuals in whistleblower actions under federal and state False Claims Acts, as well as tax and other whistleblower statutes. Since 2014, she has assisted the United States and the State of New York in recovering more than $100 million.
Kathy honed her trial skills in both the private public sectors, first with prominent New York City law firms and then serving for 15 years as an Assistant United States Attorney, Chief of Immigration, and Deputy Chief of Appeals for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York. Kathy then served for three years as Counsel to the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit of the New York State Attorney General's Office. Kathy also supervised all qui tam cases investigated and prosecuted by the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, resulting in more than $800 million in ordered recoveries for the New York State Medicaid Program.
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Georgetown University
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Selected for inclusion in New York Metro Super Lawyers
- New York County Lawyers' Association Award for Outstanding Public Service
- U.S. Department of Justice Director's Award for Superior Performance
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Federal Bar Council, Second Circuit Courts Committee
- Mediation Panel, US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- The Play Group Theatre