Michael’s creative approach to complex legal problems often leads to successful resolutions that clients did not consider possible.
Michael Reed focuses his practice on complex litigation in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey, with an emphasis on employment disputes. He represents companies and individuals in employment-related contract litigation, wage and hour cases, and discrimination matters. He also represents clients in investigations and hearings before government agencies. In addition, he has significant experience in a broad range of civil litigation matters, mass tort litigation, and collective and class actions.
Michael also regularly counsels employees and employers on hiring, termination, and workplace conduct issues.
Michael’s prior experience at a plaintiff-side firm gives him a particularly unique perspective on the Fair Labor Standards Act and New York Labor Law. He has delivered talks on wage and hour issues to national, statewide, and local audiences, and his articles on the topic have been published in the New York Law Journal, the New Jersey Law Journal, Bloomberg Law Insights, and the Westchester Lawyer.
Before joining Yankwitt LLP, Michael practiced at Am Law 100 law firm Kirkland & Ellis, where he represented BP in its governmental investigations arising out of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He also provided pro bono representation to a class of children on Medicaid, fighting to preserve screening, diagnosis, and treatment services.
Michael served as a law clerk to the Honorable William J. Martini, United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey, and practiced at a regional law firm, handling employment matters on behalf of employees.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Federal Bar Council, Westchester Committee, Vice Chair
- Westchester County Bar Association, Member
- Westchester County Bar Association, Business and Commercial Law Committee, Co-Chair
- New York State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Wage & Hour Committee, Member
- New York State Bar Association House of Delegates, Delegate, 2021-2022
- Westchester County Bar Association, Mentoring Circles Lead, 2021-2022