2021: A Year for the Books
It was a year to remember: We skillfully navigated a remote work environment and a return to the office. We represented clients in extraordinary cases, and we were recognized by leading organizations for our achievements. We continued working with our dedicated long-time clients and welcomed many new ones. And through it all, our attorneys and staff supported and elevated each other. As we prepare to tackle 2022, we would like to share some highlights from the past year. We hope you enjoy them!
And the Winner Is…
It is true what they say, you have to be in it to win it, and in 2021, Yankwitt LLP entered the rankings race to outstanding success. The firm submitted nominations for the industry’s most respected rankings.
- Yankwitt LLP was selected by Chambers USA in Commercial Litigation.
- Benchmark Litigation named Russell Yankwitt a “Litigation Star” and Dina Hamerman a “Future Star.”
- Dina was recognized as an honoree of 914 Inc.’s Women in Business.
- Counsel Michael Reed was recognized by the Business Council of Westchester as a Rising Star and was honored by Westfair Communications with a Millennial + GenZ Award.
- We had six attorneys named to Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, and Russell was again named to the Super Lawyers Top 25 Westchester List and Top 100 New York Metro List.
- Russell was named to Best Lawyers in Commercial Litigation for the third year.
- US News and Best Lawyers named Yankwitt LLP to Best Law Firms in Commercial Litigation, White Plains in Tier 1.
- Yankwitt LLP was selected the seventh Best Small Company to Work for in New York.
Yankwitt LLP’s docket this year was jam packed with a wide spectrum of matters before federal and state courts, and private arbitrators and mediators. Our breadth of cases included representing Million Air in its ongoing $31 million lawsuit against Westchester County, serving as local counsel to Walgreens in the consolidated opioid litigation in New York state court and everything in between. We represented clients in high-stakes business disputes, employment litigations and wage and hour class actions. We also handled civil litigation collateral to divorce proceedings and matters raising cutting-edge issues such as internet gambling. Whatever the subject matter, we approached each case with the same voracious appetite to win we always do – whether it meant motions practice, arbitration, settling or trying the case. More information about our case wins is available on the firm website.
Rising to New Heights
Yankwitt LLP celebrated two promotions in 2021 – Partner Dina Hamerman was named Executive Director and Alicia Tallbe was elevated to Partner. Dina, one of the firm’s first attorneys, has grown to become Russell Yankwitt’s righthand person and now shares oversight of firm operations in addition to managing an active docket and mentoring junior attorneys. Alicia joined the firm in 2017 as Counsel, bringing an incredible skill set from her experience as a federal law clerk and with leading New York City law firms. She is an outstanding litigator who delivers exceptional results to her clients while providing unmatched, compassionate service to help them navigate difficult times.
Originating with Russell Yankwitt’s immediate family, “YT” or “Yankwitt Tough” has infiltrated the Yankwitt LLP family as well. It started with unofficial references to how we handle cases and approach difficult situations and is now codified with the Peloton hashtag #YankwittTough after the firm gifted the entire team Peloton bikes. The firm engages in monthly intra-firm Peloton challenges along with clients, adversaries, referral sources, and even federal judges. We also now feature #YT Wednesdays on social media twice a month where we highlight ways the firm goes above and beyond for our clients, our community and each other.